Our History

The vision cast by the church’s members back in 1957 holds true today as Westminster seeks to be a beacon of light in the Fox Valley region, standing true to the holy word of God and exalting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. 

On May 12, 1957, sixteen worshippers signed a “Covenant of Fellowship” in the home of Arthur A. Stoll, and Westminster Presbyterian Church came into being. The covenant declared their desire to be recognized as Presbyterians assembling in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The aims of exalting Christ as Savior and Lord and holding true to the Scriptures were preeminent.


The church’s first full-time pastor was William Johnson. Early in his tenure, the church purchased land on Deborah Street in Elgin for its first building, which was dedicated on April 2, 1961.


Pastor Johnson was instrumental in leading Westminster to affiliate with the Bible Presbyterian Synod (BPS) in 1959. The BPS later became the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), which in turn merged in 1965 with the Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America, General Synod. At that time, Westminster joined the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod (RPCES). Seventeen years later, the church became part of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) when the PCA received the RPCES.


As membership increased and ministries grew throughout the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s, the church recognized the need for expanded facilities. A large consideration in this decision was the growth of Westminster Christian School, which had been established by the church in 1978 as an outpouring of its commitment to Christian education. After extensive long-range planning and consideration, the church purchased twenty-three acres of land in an area targeted for significant residential growth. Ground was broken for the present facility in May of 1988. The service of dedication for the new structure was held on June 16, 1989, with J.I. Packer preaching. Since that time, two additional building phases have been completed.


Throughout its history, the Lord has blessed Westminster with godly men committed to sound biblical preaching. Pastor Eugene Frost (1961-67) succeeded Pastor Johnson, followed by Richard Aeschliman (1968-1974), Charles B. Holliday, III (1975-1994), Robert Clark (1995-2002), Ewan Kennedy (2003-2006), David Williams (2007-2016), and Douglas O'Donnell (2017-Present)